This prestigious award has been running since 1992 and awards an artist or group for making the best album that year. Past winners include Suede, Primal Scream, Pulp and Arctic Monkeys. The award is regarded as highly prestigious as it is shortlisted by a panel of key figures in the music industry, and being nominated particularly helps the less well known artists who see an increase in album sales post nomination.
The award doesn’t necessarily go to the most obvious candidate either, for example in 2009 the virtually unknown Speech Debelle won for her album Speech Therapy, despite being up against the likes of Florence and the Machine, Kasabian, La Roux and Bat for Lashes. Last year The Guardian put The XX as their favorites (well, them and Dizzee Rascal) and this year have put PJ Harvey to win; could they be right again? Or could Elbow win the award again, last winning in 2008 with ‘The Seldom Seen Kid’?
The nominations this year are:
- Adele – 21
- Anna Calvi – Anna Calvi
- Elbow – Build a Rocket Boys!
- Everything Everything – Man Alive
- Ghostpoet – Peanut Butter Blues & Melancholy Jam
- Gwilym Simcock – Good Days at Schloss Elmau
- James Blake – James Blake
- Katy B – On a Mission
- King Creosote & Jon Hopkins – Diamond Mine
- Metronomy – The English Riviera
- PJ Harvey – Let England Shake
- Tinie Tempah – Disc-Overy